Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Damaris Oakley- Red Room Art Glass Studio


My work explores and documents my love of working with glass.  I am addicted to it, never seem to get enough, and for me, glass has it all---colour, dimension, clarity, and reflec­tion. My addiction has evolved to torching my own glass beads, and fabricating sterling silver, copper & brass components that I transform into one-of-a-kind jewellery pieces.  My medium is melting glass, and every bead I make is a new adventure, and always exciting.
Inspiration for my beads comes from the west coast landscape, specifically, the ocean at low tide, bright and vibrant flowers in the spring, and the contrasting and changing colours of the fall season.  These inspirations present endless stimulation to explore colour, shape, movement and presents visual elements and interesting contrasts that challenge my responses.  Each of my beads is a fusion of these elements and it is what makes my beads distinctive, unique and the foundation of my jewellery designs.
I have shown my work at several exhibitions including the Sooke Fine Art Show, the Sidney Fine Art Show, Heat: Expression in Glass in North Vancouver, and Branded at the Influx Jewellery Gallery in Calgary Alberta.  In addition I am a member of the BC Glass Art Association and have participated in numerous juried and non-juried member shows in Vancouver, BC.  My work is available locally in both public and private galleries, and I have participated in many seasonal Craft shows throughout British Columbia and Alberta, including the Filberg Festival in 2011.
I have a combination of formal training in glass bead making and consider myself self taught.  My BA degree in history/art history has provided me with a vast understanding of significant art forms and styles that influences my work.   I work from my home studio in Nanaimo, BC.