Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Judy Seeley

I was born in Vancouver, grew up in Colorado and returned to Canada to attend university at Simon Fraser in 1967. After completing my Masters (UBC) in Librarianship, I worked in the mining and energy industry. In 1995, leaving behind my career as a Corporate Librarian, I realized a dream by studying Textile Art at Capilano College in North Vancouver, B.C. After completing my diploma, our family moved to Victoria in 1997 where I was happy to be able to set up a studio and begin exploring textile art while raising our two sons.
In my studio work, I focused on designing one-of-a-kind wearable art, using the “faux chenille” technique. I primarily use rayon, so the pieces are sensually textured, and drape any figure beautifully. The clothing I create, using my own designs, range from a variety of accessories, vests, and jackets to full-length coats.
After introducing my work at the “Out of Hand” craft show in Victoria in 1998, I have been selling my wearable art in one-of-a-kind clothing stores in California, Arizona and locally in Victoria.